Diabetes mellitus is a disease that requires an integrated approach to therapy. For this reason, massage is its integral and important part.
The procedure helps to improve the tone of the body, improve blood circulation in the limbs, relax the body, improve metabolism, eliminate pain, prevent a set of extra pounds.
In addition, regular massage for diabetes is an excellent prevention of many of its complications.
The benefits and effectiveness of massage in diabetes mellitus type 1 and 2
Disruption of metabolism is one of the main reasons leading to the development of diabetes.
To normalize it, patients are recommended to regularly engage in physical activity.
It is also necessary to carry out special procedures, among which should be highlighted massage.
Complications of this disease often become various problems with the lower extremities, it occurs in the case of the first type of diabetes, and the second. Foot massage will be an excellent method of their treatment, as well as no less effective prevention.
The benefits of massage:
- relaxation and high-quality muscle relaxation will make it much easier to cope with any upcoming physical activities prescribed for diabetics;
- improvement of blood circulation in the limbs, where in patients the vessels are most affected;
- increased metabolism will contribute to the regulation of glucose uptake;
- restoration of nerve fibers. Especially for diabetics, these procedures are very important, since they reduce sugar and the nerve endings will not break down;
- burning excess fat mass;
- prevention of diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
Types of massage treatments
Several massage treatments are used for diabetics:
- local. This procedure is aimed at minimizing or completely eliminating pain in the soft tissues of the arms and legs, joints, and the sacro-lumbar region. This procedure must be performed every day for 15 minutes;
- common. The procedure is aimed at helping people who have problems with obesity. It is recommended to combine it with a local massage. Duration is 40 minutes once every three days;
- pinpoint. It is recommended to be carried out daily for two weeks. But at the same time the patient will need to monitor the level of sugar in the urine;
- impulsive self-massage. This procedure can be done at home. It is based on the scrubbing and stroking certain areas, so that nutrients are placed in the right part of the body.
When a massage can be used several techniques, and they are used both separately and in the complex:
- stroking. Actively used in all types of massage treatments. Execution occurs by sliding the hand over the skin of the patient with different intensity of pressure. Actions must be performed so that no folds form. This technique has a positive effect on the work of the sebaceous and sweat glands, stabilizes blood circulation, promotes muscle relaxation;
- tapping This process consists in performing percussion actions with the aid of a palm edge, fist or fingers along a massaged surface;
- trituration. It is necessary to carry out, pressing on the patient's body parts with the hands, and at the same time carry out displacement near the located tissue in different directions. With the help of this technique, the metabolism is normalized in the body, and the foci of inflammatory processes are resolved;
- kneading. The process is performed with the help of a hand grabbing the muscles, after which it must be slightly raised and squeezed, and then released. The technique produces a tonic effect, promotes the resorption of inflammation and stimulates the muscles. It must be remembered that this process can be performed only after stroking and rubbing;
- vibration. Implementation is based on the creation of oscillations of tissues, which, in turn, is distributed throughout the patient's body. The masseur can influence the patient's skin with the tips of his fingers, his fist, the whole palm or the back surface of the hand. This technique helps to eliminate muscle tension, helps to improve the mobility of the joints, ligaments and muscles;
- chopping. Before starting the execution of this technique, you should make sure that the patient is as relaxed as possible. This is necessary so that during the massage there will be no pain or any discomfort. The blows are applied to the area with the edges of the palms.
Massaging the pancreas
In case of diabetes mellitus, medical specialists are recommended to regularly massage the pancreas.
It is necessary to take into account all possible contraindications, since the procedure cannot be prescribed for acute pancreatitis, and the massage itself should be carried out with caution, and if a feeling of fatigue occurs, the procedure should be canceled. The big plus is that you can do it yourself.
Massage of fingers and feet
To create the effect of relaxation before the procedure, the patient must take a cleansing bath.
This stage will prepare the skin, ligaments and joints for further effects on them. Water should not be used at room temperature.
A massage therapist, in turn, must process his hands with talcum powder to avoid injury and to achieve maximum slip. Foot massage begins with stroking and kneading the surface of the leg. You should start with the ankle, then go to the knee.
Next, you need to stroke the calves with further "squeezing". Then you can begin to massage the knee joint again, making circular motions. Then you will need to climb up the thigh to the groin.
Massage of the foot in patients with diabetes mellitus is performed as follows: the specialist rubs his fingers first and foremost, while holding the foot with one hand, and the other is rubbing each of the fingers in turn.
After performing these actions, the masseur massages the interdigital spaces.
The heel is usually rubbed with a thumb, but you can also pinch. Similar movements must be performed with the Achilles tendon. Next, the specialist will need to move to the calves and do not forget to massage the back side of the feet.
People diagnosed with diabetes are most susceptible to pain and fatigue in the area of the legs. They need extra care, which can be helped by special massagers.
Massagers can not only relieve pain, but also serve as prevention and treatment of various pathologies of the lower extremities, such as:
- varicose veins;
- a decrease in blood and lymph circulation;
- other diseases.
There are several types of massagers:
- vibratory massagers. Used specifically for the feet.
- roller deviceswhose effects are directed to the acupuncture points of the feet.
- massage boots. Such devices are a multifunctional device that is necessary to work out the tissues of the feet to the calf muscles.
What to do massage treatments for diabetic complications?
Massage is recommended for a variety of diabetic complications. It is used not only in their presence, but also for prevention:
- diabetic foot. When this pathology requires the use of local massage, it should not last more than 15 minutes once a day. Thus, it is possible to achieve significant results in the treatment of various diseases, including to eliminate problems with feet in diabetes mellitus;
- arthropathy. In this case, you need to use acupressure. This procedure must be performed every day, the standard course of treatment should last no more than two weeks. Massage is necessary for relieving tension and treating practically all diseases and complications of diabetes mellitus;
- high pressure. In this case, it is recommended to use a general massage, as it contributes to lowering blood pressure. After performing massage procedures, the patient will purify the body from harmful substances, improve mood, and sleep will return to normal. It will be enough 2-3 sessions in 7 days;
- obesity. In the presence of excess weight as well as in the case of high blood pressure, it is recommended to use a general massage. It helps cleanse the skin of dead cells and reduce swelling. Recommended 2-3 sessions per week.
Contraindications and precautions
Despite the great benefits provided by the massage, in some cases it cannot be prescribed to diabetics.
Massage is not allowed for:
- severe forms of diabetes;
- the presence of trophic ulcers, or diabetic gangrene;
- general malaise (not recommended);
- acute diabetic complications (not recommended);
- dental diseases.
How to do a foot massage for diabetes? Tips in the video:
Massage is not only a pleasant and relaxing procedure, but also a healing and restorative one. It contributes to the activation of metabolic processes, improve blood supply, relieves pain while walking and has a number of positive effects.
In addition, an important factor is the prevention of various diabetic complications and the normalization of glucose uptake in the body.