This natural chemical compound is necessary for the production of female and male sex hormones, to ensure normal water levels in the cells of the body. There are other features.
But an excess of cholesterol leads to a serious disease - atherosclerosis. In this case, the normal activity of the blood vessels is disrupted. The consequences can be the worst.
Statins - fighters with cholesterol
- decreased liver cholesterol production;
- a decrease in intestinal absorption of cholesterol from food;
- elimination of the resulting cholesterol plaque in the blood vessels.
The main indications for prescribing statins:
- heart disease, the threat of a heart attack;
- diabetes mellitus - to prevent or reduce complications associated with blood circulation.
In some cases, atherosclerotic plaques can form even with low cholesterol. And if this particular feature is found in a patient, statins can also be assigned.
Statins with diabetes
CD can not be cured. But it is possible to increase the duration and quality of life of a diabetic so that the disease will become only a disciplining factor, and not a sentence. If at the same time it is possible to improve fat metabolism, which is closely related to the problems of high cholesterol, then we can talk about a significant achievement. This is especially important in the second type of disease. It is in this case that lipid (fat) metabolism is disturbed to a greater degree.
Choose to taste?
- Lovastatin - This medicine, which is obtained from mold fungi by their fermentation.
- Analogue of this drug is simvastatin.
- Very close to these two drugs is considered pravastatin.
- Rosuvastatin, atorvastatin and fluvastatin - These are fully synthetic drugs.
Prices for statins can vary greatly depending on the manufacturer, the financial policy of the implementing pharmacy, as well as by region. In some cases, the price of simvastatin falls short of one hundred rubles for 30 tablets. The range of prices for rosuvastatin is very large: 300-700 rubles. The provision of statin class drugs for free depends on the social programs of a particular region and the situation of the diabetic himself.
Duration of treatment
Given a number of factors (contraindications among them), some doctors may prescribe statins only in certain cases. For example, when a diabetic already has negative effects of lipid metabolism or a real risk of atherosclerosis and subsequent complications.